Friday 4 January 2013

Introduction to the Essenes

Day 28

As I have mentioned early on in my writing I am undertaking an experiment to regain health and rid myself of eczema that has been driving me crazy for too long and I am at the point now that I will try any thing to get rid of the dam thing. As I have said this is no trippy hippy thing that I am embarking on but a tried and tested way to regain health. I have also mentioned the author Edmond Bordeaux Szekely and his writings of the ancient communities and sect of the Essenes. Following are selected passages from the introduction and pages from his book THE ESSENES, a book I borrowed from the Lismore library.

“Historically the communities of the Essenes belong to the last two or three centuries B.C. and the first centuries of our era. Their teachings and way of life were recorded by Contemporary writers including Flavius Joseolus, the Jewish historian and statesman, The Philo the Alexandrian philosopher, and Pliny the Elder, the great naturalist.

The Essene Brotherhoods of the first century A.D. are particularly notable fro the simplicity and harmony of their life. Moreover they gave to mankind three of its greatest figures; John the Baptist, Jesus and John, the beloved Disciple. The sublime teachings, of Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount, is only comprehensible in the light of the Essenes teachings of the Sevenfold Peace. In a wider sense the Essenes do not belong to any one region of time for their teachings ars universal intheir application and ageless in their wisdom. Traces of the Essenes traditions appear in almost every country and religion of antiquity. In Sumerian archeological excavations tiles and stones have been found which show fragments of the teachings recorded some 8000 years ago. And these fragments in turn appear to stem from the an even earlier period. The same fundamental principles are discoverable in the Zend Avesta of Zoroaster, in the teachings of Buddha, in the Tibetan Wheel of Life of Moses, whom the Essenes claimed as their founder. The Essene traditions were known in ancient Egypt and among the Greek Pythagoreans.

This evening I ate for the first time from the balcony boxes with the lettuce seedlings I planted a short while ago. I still have to have some success with the wheat sprouting and other seed sprouting. The meadow has finished and I will start sprouting seeds for another one for me and one for a friend tthat works at the soup kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment